It was a fantastic 5 days with other well-known performers, such as Jeff Kashiwa, Brian Simpson, Blake Aaron, Kim Waters, Bobby Lyle, Paul Brown, Adam Hawley, Elan Trotman, Rick Braun, Gerald Veasley, Javier Colon, and Kayla Waters. His crew and production team made everything flow smoothly and included the lovely Jazz Hostess Sandra and her crew, as well as Rajko & Claudi Lienert, and Jorge Fonseca.
My performance spot was excellent, placed perfectly on the final day, on the warm and sunny seaside Main Stage. My band knocked it out of the park, so high marks to Orefo Orakwue (bass), Andrew Small (drums), Dave Ital (guitar), Steve Turner (keys), and Nelson Nunes (audio). My whole show is captured below, so sit back and dig in to the solid and punchy vibes, all originals from many of my albums, including the latest MidCentury Modern Vol. 2, MidCentury Modern Vol. 1, Cool Down, Kissed By the Sun, Told Ya So, and more. All are available from Apple, Amazon, Spotify, with physical discs also from CD Baby, and WindtunnelRecords.
Rockin' the Ribjoint
Peace Song (feat Paul Brown)
Comin' Home for Mardi Gras (feat Carl Stanley)
For more info or booking contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
"GABRIEL MARK HASSELBACH – “MIDCENTURY MODERN – VOL. 2”
Gabriel Mark Hasselbach, trumpet/flugelhorn/flute/valve trombone; Miles Black, piano/organ/bass; Joel Fountain,drums; Cory Weeds,saxophone; Ernie Watts,saxophone; Gord Lemon,electric bass; Olaf DeShield,guitar; Laurence Mullerup,acoustic bass.
“On this project, rather than recording predominantly original material as I often do, I chose soulful tunes from the 50’s and 60’s that have influenced me and have a timeless quality. This album is the complete me; a seamless melding of mainstream, contemporary and NOLA styles. … a trifecta of jazz where the sum is greater than the parts.”
On the familiar tune, “Jazz ‘n Samba” Gabriel Mark Hasselbach picks up his flute to add more spice to this already spicy Latin production. It’s unusual for a trumpet player to also master a reed instrument, but Hasselbach is not your usual suspect. He performs beautifully on the flute.
“This album is a tasty homage to the classic jazz flag-bearers I grew up listening to: Blue Mitchell, Carmell Jones, Horace Silver, Freddie Hubbard, Chet Baker, Stan Getz, Miles Davis, Lee Morgan, Jimmy Smith, Clifford Brown, Joe Gordon, Hank Mobley, Herbie Mann, Jobim and many others,” Gabriel Mark Hasselbach explains. “Jazz is in my bones and I am sure I’ll die clutching my horn to my chest.”
I am deeply moved by Gabriel’s interpretation of the very beautiful “Nature Boy” composition. On “Sister Sadie,” he reminds us of the genius of Horace Silver and his many hit jazz standard compositions, like this one. On the tune, “I’m Gonna Go Fishin’,” Hasselbach plunges his horn for a gritty, soulful effect and Mike Black uses an organ to embellish this production. Every song on this album is well-played and beautifully produced by Gabriel Mark Hasselbach. This is a compact disc you will enjoy playing time after time.
MidCentury Modern Vol. 2 (and Vol.1) are Gabriel's deep dive into the great traditions of jazz!
Live at Frankie's
Live at Blue Frog Concert Stage
Check out MidCentury Modern Vol. 2
1. "Hill of the Buddha" in Sapporo, Japan
2. The Russian Ministry of Agriculture’s building in Kazan
3. "Jing An Temple" in the middle of the grey city of Shanghai, China
4. "City of Arts and Sciences" in Valencia, Spain
5. "Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple" in Tamil Nadu, India
6. Chain Structure in Singapore
7. Institute for Medical and Health Research building in South Australia
8. The "iceberg" in Aarhus, Denmark
9. "Intel Hotel" in Zaandam, the Netherlands
10. The "drunk house" in Sopot, Poland
11. "The Zeitz Museum of Contemporary African Art" in Cape Town, South Africa
12. "Polygon Riviera" in Cagnes-sur-Mer, France
13. "Agora Garden Tower" in Taipei, Taiwan
14. "Temple of the Sun" in Muhamadra, India
15. Imax Theater "Le KinéMAX" in Futuroscope Park, France
16. The Dancing House in Prague, Czech Republic
17. "Museum of Tomorrow" in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Where other people live, work and play!!!